1.16.2004

I finished the sermon today. It flowed nicely and only took a few hours. Sometimes that happens. Sometimes not. Some days it's like slicing a hot knife through butter; other days it's like having a baby -- lots of pushing, sweating, grunting and hard work; and time (I get this second-hand from my wife, of course).

I do better with a good cup of coffee. I do know that. Words and metaphors live in the caffeine, I think. Or, perhaps, caffeine unlocks the storehouse where the words and metaphors live. I don't know. All I know is that it was more like a knife than a baby today. Thank God.

Of course, there is a tremendous gap between the writing and the preaching; and yet a potentially larger gap between the preaching and the hearing, let alone the doing of what is preached. Sweet agony. Joy. Privilege. Pain. Frustration. All in one. But, I wouldn't change it for the world, today at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home