7.14.2004


Micah (13) and Asher (16) on a canoe trip with me in northern Wisconsin, just a couple of weeks ago.
Posted by Hello

I heard from both of my boys this morning. They are in Panama on a short term missions trip with Teen Mania. They will be gone for a whole month. This is, amazingly, the longest I will have been apart from any of my children.

The other day Kim and I were looking through a CD of pictures of our family that had been scanned into a computer and digitized. There must have been a few hundred of them. What a trip to see "my boys" (or "mine boys" as my daughter used to refer to them) from birth on up.

In some ways I miss some of those days. It sounds so trite, but it is true -- the time flew. I cannot believe my firstborn is 16 years old. In two years Kim and I will begin to send them, one by one, out of the house. It saddens me that I don't have more time with them, really.

On the other hand, while I miss those early days and the cuteness of toddlers and the blossoming of young personalities, I am thrilled to see who they are becoming, now, too. Asher and Micah are two totally different people. And I couldn't be more thankful for who they are turning out to be. They both have a passion for Christ that far exceeds mine or that of their mother's at their ages. Where will they go? What will they do? How will God work in their lives?

Given that the first two decades of this little family have flown by, I think I will take the slow road in finding out what the future holds. I think, hope and pray that we move into the adult lives of my three wonderful children at about the pace of that canoe trip we took a couple of weeks ago. I hope, at the end of the day, we'll look back and realize that, although it felt as if we were moving along rather quickly, we've still got a ways to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home