8.24.2005

church marketing and pat robertson

I just got the latest issue of Relevant Magazine (what a great magazine). In addition to all the latest fads, music and the upcoming television season I found Jason Boyett's column, "Pop Culture Ruminating", which led me to churchmarketingsucks.com, a fascinating and worthwhile web site. There is a lot there. I may post on something I find there in the near future. It raises the question, of course, as to what is and is not marketing. In some sense, I suppose, spreading the Good News always entails some manner of marketing, doesn't it?


So now that I've discovered the above web site, I cannot ignore what I discovered there, though a bit late. I cannot believe Pat Robertson. After all my blogging, thinking, wrestling and discussion on what it means not to be judgmental, some things call for judgment of some kind (call it "discernment" if you like). What is the "Christian" response to this stupidity? Concerning President Chavez of Venezuela, Robertson said on national tv, and I quote,
You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war.... We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.

Surely the most loving thing here is make a "judgment" call. Mr. Robertson is an embarassment to the Good News of Jesus. If Jesus could speak, he would blast him, I think, if that's not too strong of a term for it. I seem to recall some blasting going on from time to time in the New Testament. Apology or no apology, this is the kind of thing that does violence to the gospel, is it not? Okay, bloggers everywhere are probably weighing in on this, so I'll shut up. Others, like my friend Jay, will do it better, I'm sure. I just had to say something.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger bdrtthnnb said...

The wonders of language. One word used in a number of ways to convey different meanings. Of course you know this, my friend and the wisdom is to make sure we keep this in mind as we negotiate conversation. I, like you and many others, am appaled by Robertson's comment(s). It is not a bad form of judgment to call him to task for such beliefs and words. A far cry for the judgmentalism he is himself demonstating in his comments. Peace, Dan

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger bdrtthnnb said...

OK, took a brief look at churchmarketingsucks.com. I'll be interested in reading your further comments if they are forth coming. We are a "market" society and more and more of culture is being marketed. Does marketing fit with the true goals of the church? Again, I'll watch for your further comments on this.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger stacey said...

Dan,we do indeed live in a marketing culture. And certainly we have Good News that needs to be hear and we have a call to serve God by communicating his love, grace and truth inside and outside of the church. My problem is that so much of our marketing culture puts a spin on things. The burgers never quite look as full and lucsious as they do in the ads, know what I mean? Not to mention the culture, by its very nature, tries to sell us what we do not need by deceiving us into thinking we do need it. Of course, that's not what the church should do, but could it be said that we sometimes put a spin on it all, or at least that danger is always there?

As far as the site goes, it isn't so much opposed to the conept of marketing the church, as it is wary of the way marketing can affect the true mission of the church. There is a lot on that site to read... thanks for the comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home