11.01.2005

all saints day :: more celtic prayer and brother thomas

My friend Sue sent the following Celtic prayer to me. I love the simplicity and the depth of these prayers. They are full of "Immanuel" moments, where God is closer than skin:

My Christ, my love,
my encircler;
Each day, each night,
Each light, each dark,
Be near me, uphold me,
My treasure, my truth.


I am only 1/8 Irish, but all Celt, I think.

* * *

I've been reading The Intimate Merton and find I am falling in love with the man all over again. The book is a compilation of journal entries from throughout his life and is beautifully edited.

What a delight to read of his struggles, his humor and his love for God -- not to mention his awareness of God's great love for him. I have several favorite quotes, but here is one that I read today. It captures both the devotion and the humor in two brief sentences:
Today, in a moment of trial, I rediscovered Jesus, or perhaps discovered Him for the first time. But then, in a monastery you are always discovering Jesus for the first time. -- January 27, 1950, p.77
That rediscovery of Jesus has been my prayer (for me, my family and my church) for the better part of a year, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home