3.18.2006

if it wasn't this...

I have led a life that would be considered by most to be a "charmed" life. So few crises, so few real challenges. I've had a few lately, but I am always able to look around and see others who deal with greater challenges than I do. I am at once grateful and sad. Glad to find the grace to deal with the little we are handed. Sad that others struggle as much as they do.

I finally watched "Elizabethtown" the other day. It wasn't a GREAT movie, but I enjoyed it. There were touches of greatness and grace in it. In the film Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom) loses his father. His father was visting family in Kentucky (Elizabethtown, of course) when he died. Baylor must go to pick up his father's body and bring it back to Oregon. On his way to the airport his mother and sister remark about something his father used to say all the time (which they are all able to recite together): "If it wasn't this, it would be something else." What a philosophy for life. If it wasn't this, it would be something else. How true. There is no way to escape the challenges of life. Some challenges may be "easier" than others, but there will always be something else.

The other element of the story which resonated with me was the theme of failure and risk. I am too often afraid of failure and so find it hard to take too many big risks. This is especially true of my calling as pastor. "Elizabethtown" encourages me to risk a bit more, to realize that it takes real courage to risk, fail and stick around. Oh that I could go through life -- all of life -- chanting the mantra, "If it wasn't this, it would be something else."

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Dinger said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Dinger said...

Dinger said...
May God bless you since you may just have invited new challenges into your life. Hold on to your seat! But,what do you have to lose? If we do not take risks for fear of failing, we end up failing because we don't take risks. Time for some spiritual river-crossings.
Now and then I think it is time to re-read Hind's Feet on High Places, by Hannah Hurnard. No matter how poorly written it might be, it helps us to see how we must trust The Shepherd to lead us when things look bad. I think of it as the perfect book to be in when we are in a desert situation.

I will have a few more things to say on my blog at http://churchladyblog.blogspot.com.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger stacey said...

Dinger, thank you for your comments and faith. I took a look at your blog. Good food for thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home